Those who know me well know that I’m a bit of a book reader and a huge fan of the Fantasy genre as a whole, which is often referred to as “Sword and Sorcery” books. In my youth I grew up with the core Dragonlance books and moved to the RA Salvatore’s “Drizzt” books within the Forgotten Realms setting.
I remember these books very fondly, however as I transitioned into adulthood I was left with a strong desire for a more epic tale and have spent the past decade trying out other Fantasy novels. Here are some of my favorite sword and sorcery series:
- A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin (7 book series) – Probably my favorite series of all time, although it is hard to say as the series hasn’t yet been completed yet.
- The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson (10 book series) – This series starts slow but really picks up in Book 2 and is believed by many to be one of the greatest series of all time.
- Farseer Trilogy and Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb (both 3 book series)
- Prince of Nothing by R Scott Bakker (3 book series)
- Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (multiple books in this setting but not technically a series)
- Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks (3 book series)
- The First Law by Joe Abercrombie (3 book series)
- Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (3 book series)
I’ve read other stuff as well but those are probably my favorites off the top of my head. I know several of you also enjoy this genre so I’d love to hear your recommendations in the comments below!
Update: Great post by NPR covering the best Fantasy/Science Fiction books of all time!